The trainees can work from home during the week and attend classes on six Saturdays.
By the end of this course, candidates will be able to:
- understand the principles used in teaching ESL.
- have sufficient knowledge needed to teach English in diverse settings.
- design and administer tests.
- design and deliver lessons to ESL students of various levels of proficiency.
To enrol in the TESOL Certificate Course, a participant must meet the following criteria:
a) Be above 21 years of age;
b) Possess a high school education certificate – preferably a diploma or a degree
c) Possess a good command of English. All candidates must sit for the ELS English Language Proficiency test upon registration
+ Programme Structure
||Second Language Acquisition
|Orientation and Lesson Planning
|Grammar Review & Teaching
Grammar in Context
|Teaching Listening & Phonology
||Authentic Practicum 1 –
||Teaching Speaking & Error Correction
||Authentic Practicum 2 –
Language Testing & Assessment
Language Testing & Assessment
|Authentic Practicum 3 –
Candidates will be awarded the TESOL Certificate conferred by Premier College upon:
- completing all online tasks and passing all quizzes
- having full attendance in the face-to-face sessions
- submitting satisfactory home assignments and
- obtaining a satisfactory grade in the practical teaching sessions
+ Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the difference between a Certificate and a Diploma in TESOL or TESL or TEFL?
Under the Malaysian Ministry of Education ruling, a Certificate usually requires 100 to 140 hours of learning while a Diploma could be a 2 to 2.5-year programme.
- Will this qualification enable me to teach English at Premier College ?
Premier College hiring criteria stipulates that a candidate: possesses a degree, has a certificate in TESOL/TESL/TEFL, passes a job interview, conducts a good demonstration class, shows commitment towards teaching and is interested in students’ learning and progress. Candidates who meet all of the above criteria will be considered by Premier College provided there is a vacancy.
- Will I be able to teach in an English language centre or a private school in Malaysia or abroad when I complete this programme?
Yes, provided you meet the hiring criteria of the various institutions and country policy.
- Who are the teacher trainers for this programme?
Premier College teacher trainers are qualified by education and have an average of 10 years teaching experience.
- Who issues this Certificate?
Premier College issues the Certificate in TESOL. Premier College is registered under the Malaysian Ministry of Education. Premier College is a US-based company with over 20 years experience in Malaysia. Its parent company in Princeton, USA has almost 50 years of experience teaching English to the world!
- Is the Premier College TESOL certificate recognised worldwide?
Recognition of any certificate or qualification is the prerogative of the approving authority. It is common for other places to base their approval criteria on the reputation where the certificate/qualification is from. As a rule, if the TESOL programme is over 100 hours and practical teaching (practicum) is part of the programme, it is mostly internationally recognised.
- How ready will I be as an English language teacher at the end of the programme?
Being an effective teacher depends a lot on your commitment and your continuous effort in learning and practising the teaching skills learnt. Like everything in life, the more practice you get, the better you will become. Do not be discouraged but enjoy the opportunity to hone your skills.
- Will Premier College help me to get a teaching job?
The School of Education at Premier College will assist you but will not guarantee you a job. Securing a job will depend on your performance in the TESOL studies, the practicums, and the job interview.
Download the TESOL Certificate Brochure